On Tuesday, 24 May 2016 at 16:22:56 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
On 24.05.2016 01:02, Walter Bright wrote:
[...]

Speed. The title of this thread is "Need a faster compressor".

[...]

No. Just increase the recursion depth by a small number of levels to completely kill the speedups gained by using a faster compression algorithm.

[...]

Yes, it does. The compiler does not use exponential space to store the AST.

[...]

It's _exponential_ growth. We don't even want to spend the time and memory required to generate the strings.

[...]

The reason we have this discussion is that the worst case isn't rare enough to make this argument. Why compress in the first place if mangled names don't grow large in practice?

I completely agree!
However such a thing will only work if dmd is used as a pre-linker and If we can stablize the hash.
I.E. every run of the compiler generates the same hash.