On Tuesday, 31 May 2016 at 07:56:54 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 5/30/16 5:51 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
On 5/30/2016 8:34 AM, Marc Schütz wrote:
In an ideal world, we'd also want to change the way `length` and
`opIndex` work,

Why? strings are arrays of code units. All the trouble comes from
erratically pretending otherwise.

That's not an argument.

Consistency is a factual argument, and autodecode is not consistent.

+1

Objects are arrays of bytes, or tuples of their fields,
etc. The whole point of encapsulation is superimposing a more structured view on top of the representation. Operating on open-heart representation is risky, and
strings are no exception.

If there is an abstraction for strings that is efficient, consistent, useful, and hides the fact that it is UTF, I am not aware of it. Autodecoding is not it.

Thing is, more info is needed to support unicode properly. Collation for instance.