Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
In order for everyone to air an informed opinion, a related question is: will loop fusion be allowed with function calls?

Loop fusion currently only works with operators, and adding ^^ would allow:

But with pow you can't do that:

a[] = pow(b[], 3);

Andrei

P.S. FWIW, I'm ambivalent on the issue; if functions were allowed for automatic loop fusion that would tilt my opinion in disfavor of ^^, and if not, it would tilt my opinion in favor of ^^.

I don't think this is a valid argument for making pow() an operator, because what about sin()? cos()? It's all the same issue, and they all can't be operators.