On Monday, 6 June 2016 at 02:20:52 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
* Documentation and tutorials are weak.

I never understood this, as I've always found D's docs to be pretty average. Let's compare a typical Phobos page with a page from the Python docs:

Python Section on String Methods: https://docs.python.org/2.7/library/stdtypes.html#string-methods
std.string: http://dlang.org/phobos/std_string.html

Which is more helpful? Yet people still use Python despite it.

* There's no web services framework (by this time many folks know of D, but of those a shockingly small fraction has even heard of vibe.d). I have strongly argued with Sönke to bundle vibe.d with dmd over one year ago, and also in this forum. There wasn't enough interest.

"Web Services", like "cloud", is a fancy marketing term that hides the simplicity of the concept in order to sound cool in board rooms. It just means "a web server that doesn't just serve web pages".

I'm going to sound cold here, but how much can we accommodate people who don't do their research? Literally do this http://lmgtfy.com/?q=d+web+server. If they can't be bothered to do the google search, then I suspect they're one of the people who Walter talks about: always finding an excuse not to use something. Vibe.d was one of the things that first drew me to D because I was interested in it's feature set after I took ten seconds and googled for "D web server".

Maybe the best solution here would be a "recommended packages" page that's linked from the home page under the "Packages" section. But I foresee that as being seen like we're playing favorites by some in the D community.