On 6/4/16 7:35 PM, Seb wrote:
In Phobos (especially in std.algorithm) a lot of specialization between
a RandomAccessRange and an InputRange are used even though only an
InputRange is required.
The reason for this is solely performance - imho we should start to
tackle this and remove such specializations. Let's create better code!

Clearly improving range-specific optimizations will "lift all boats". But specializing code for specific range kinds is in principle a good thing. See e.g. the recent thread about nextPermutation - we should not be ashamed to specialize it for random-access ranges.