On Tuesday, 7 June 2016 at 05:38:25 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
On Tue, Jun 07, 2016 at 05:39:37AM +0000, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
On Monday, 6 June 2016 at 05:49:53 UTC, Ethan Watson wrote:
> Echoing the need for decimal support. I won't use it myself, > but I know it's critical for finance.

funny thing: those "financial sector" most of the time doesn't give anything back. adding special decimal type complicating the compiler and all backends. i myself never needed that for my whole lifetime (and this is more than two decades of programming, in various free and commercial projects).
[...]

A Decimal type isn't hard to implement as a user-defined type. I don't understand the obsession with some people that something must be a built-in type to be acceptable... user-defined types were invented for a reason, and in D you have the facilities of making user-defined types behave almost like built-in types in a way no other language I know of can.

Same thing goes with a fixed point type. People keep complaining about it, but honestly if I were in the finance sector I'd implement the type myself in a couple o' days and put it up on code.dlang.org or something. It's not *that* hard.

In my opinion passionate D developer will build the missing parts themselves. I also developed my own decimal library. But the developers starting with D and which rather want to build content instead of the missing parts won't. Also there is a much higher trust if a library is provided within phobos than provided from a single person in terms of long time support.

Kind regards
Andre