On Tuesday, 7 June 2016 at 10:28:37 UTC, Ethan Watson wrote:
performance. There are plenty of ex-game-developers in that sector making three times as much money as they used to.

I am sure there is, game programmers/smaller companies also contribute a lot of libraries and knowhow (tutorials etc). Whereas the suits in games are in it for the money, I think most game programmers are in it for other more "idealistic" reasons. The difference between:

1. Programming in order to reach some non-software performance goal.

2. Programming in order to achieve a programming related esthetic result.

Attracting the culture in group 2 is much more valuable to a community project as they find it meaningful to share their knowledge (games, raytracing, compilers etc). It isn't only a job then.

Not to say that it isn't boring. That's purely a subjective thing.

I don't know if it is boring or not, probably depends on where you work, but the reputation isn't very marketable. Unlike say embedded programming.

Embedded programming -> excellent hardware access / memory usage
Games programming -> excellent access to OS APIs and resource management