On Tuesday, 7 June 2016 at 18:43:12 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
Are you trying to say that you shouldn't be allowed to do that? I get an error when I actually call x.a().

The colon attributes do NOT extend inside aggregates. Putting @nogc: at the top did not affect my function a(), because it was inside a struct.

Real world code tends to have a lot of structs and such, so the claim that you can just slap whatever: at the top doesn't stand up to scrutiny, even disregarding the other problems like lack of inversion or backward default.

I wrote more about this a couple months ago here: http://arsdnet.net/this-week-in-d/2016-apr-17.html

I have actually softened my position somewhat since then, but still hold to the key point: the default behavior means apathy ruins the feature. Use a library written by someone who didn't care to write @nogc, but nevertheless didn't actually use the gc? too bad.