On Wednesday, 8 June 2016 at 22:19:47 UTC, Bauss wrote:
D definitely needs some optimizations, I mean look at its benchmarks compared to other languages: https://github.com/kostya/benchmarks

I believe the first step towards better performance would be identifying the specific areas that are slow.

I definitely believe D could do much better than what's shown.

Let's find D's performance weaknesses and crack them down.

Please, ignore the non-actionable advice of those who criticise benchmarks. :) Benchmarks are the way to go as there is no better way to optimize things. Also, given enough of them, they really **are** representative of the typical runtime of any program because the numbers of bugs in different language implementations even out over the whole set of benchmarks. This is particularly true if the authors of D code are familiar with the D way of doing things, but even if its not the case, the language shouldn't punish beginners too much for writing the simplest solution that could possibly work for them.

I think a much better benchmark for actually optimizing would stress performance of D in a comprehensive set of corner cases (hundreds), because then, during the optimizations, if you tweak something in D to get increased performance in one case and accidentally slow something down in another case, you will notice that you slowed somthing else down.
I would start with something like this if I was optimizing D.