On Wednesday, 8 June 2016 at 19:59:27 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
A DIP not being dealt with does not mean it is a bad idea. It pretty much means we just aren't ready to deal with it at the moment. It's time may not have come yet. But it's not going away, it'll still be there when needed. I've found mining DIPs to be quite useful in designing the 'return ref' feature. DIPs are a gold mine of ideas that be built upon, and I know where to find them.

So DIPs are more like idea pool and what wasn't outright rejected so far can still be of some interest?