On Thursday, 16 June 2016 at 00:03:26 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 06/15/2016 07:34 PM, tsbockman wrote:
The whole point of `checkedint` is to be able to write algorithms based on the simplifying assumption that your variables behave like real, UNbounded mathematical integers, secure in the knowledge that an error
message will be generated if that assumption is invalidated.

Fair point, though one could make the same claim for integers within other limits than the machine's. -- Andrei

Sure. I'm just trying to explain my design goals and philosophy - not to argue that no other approach could be valid.

But, I would appreciate it if comments distinguished between:

1) My goals and philosophy differ from yours, versus
2) My implementation is bad.

I think a lot of the high-level criticism you brought is really rooted in (1), even though you present it as (2).