On 6/15/16 11:56 PM, tsbockman wrote:
Numerous other mentions were made of this project in various contexts on
the forums, in GitHub pull requests, and on the bug tracker - including
discussions in which you participated. 'posts with "checkedint" in the
title' is too narrow of a search filter.

I am sure there were, which was especially visible to you because you were following the project. Some examples would be helpful so I can learn from them.

so it's not like there was a continuing presence I was working hard to
ignore. I honestly think there's nothing to be offended over.

Malicious intent is not required to make the act offensive; you're still
jumping into a project a year in the making and demanding that I choose
between investing an additional six months (wild guess) of my time
working on things I don't care about (at best), or canceling the project
(which has otherwise received generally positive feedback so far).

Agreed malice is not required. But I'm still having trouble seeing the offense. Annoyance at a negative review, sure, we're all human. But taking offense? The closest anything came to "demanding" anything has been:

This suggests a much simpler design [...]
But I suggest you to reconsider.

How could I have phrased my review and follow-up in ways that are not offensive? Should I have just accepted the proposal on grounds that a lot of work has been put into it and the deadline has passed for influencing it? (Non-rhetorical questions.)

Pull requests are routinely reviewed in an upside-down fashion:

1) Formatting
2) Typos
3) Names
4) Tests (and names again)
6) Docs (and names)
8) Design (and more about names)
9) Does this even belong in Phobos?

I don't think people are doing it on purpose - it's just easier to start
with the trivial nit-picks, because you don't need a deep understanding
of the code and the problem domain (or decision-making authority) to
complain about a missing ' ' or something.

I can see how that could be happening. Often (and in this case) there are different folks touching on the different points.