On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 05:22:11AM +0200, Timon Gehr via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> (BTW: It would be fine with me if 0.0^^0.0 was NaN -- that's a
> completely different case than the one at hand: pow on integers.)

That's even worse. So 0^0=1 if 0 is regarded as an integer, and 0^0=NaN
if 0 is regarded as a real?  That's even more horrible than my
(admittedly not very good) argument that 0^0 should not be 1.

[...]
> (Also note that the 'laws of physics' typically give rise to piecewise
> analytic functions, and if you only consider analytic functions, 0 ^ 0
> = 1 is actually the right answer.)

Are you sure about this? I'm pretty sure it's easy to come up with
analytic functions of the form f(x)^g(x) where f(0)=g(0)=0, for which
the limit as x->0 can be made to approach whatever number you choose. If
you happen to be working with a function of that form, 0^0=1 may not be
the right answer at all!

The fact that anyone still uses AOL shows that even the presence of options
doesn't stop some people from picking the pessimal one. - Mike Ellis