On Monday, 27 June 2016 at 18:01:54 UTC, Jack Stouffer wrote:
On Monday, 27 June 2016 at 15:31:07 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
Well I get the manpower thing, everything we do is quite labour-intensive. I'm just curious nobody started such an effort (but there was with DlangScience, gamedev, web...).

D doesn't even have the building blocks in D code. Ndslice and the upcoming BLAS in D are nessesary steps if we want a idiomatic D machine learning library. And that's just the foundational work.

You don't need to match the manpower and stability of the established solution to make something useful. Perhaps there could be something distinctive enough to make it attractive?

Unfortunately, academics (who are usually the target audience for these libraries) are very set in their ways. You'll need something that surpasses the functionality of the current solutions and is just as easy to use in order for it to catch on :/

It should be added that for the development library "mir" where the upcoming BLAS in D will be hosted, we have plans to integrate also building blocks for ML. In fact Ilya already pushed an online LDA algorithm [1]. At the moment we lack the manpower to focus more on this, but any help is of course appreciated ;-)

See this issue for details:
https://github.com/libmir/mir/issues/166

[1] http://docs.mir.dlang.io/latest/mir_model_lda_hoffman.html