I have always treated ranges with this expectation:

1. front gets you the current element of the range. Calling front
multiple times without calling popFront should get you the same value.
2. popFront moves you to the next element of the range if it exists.

Jack Stouffer has created a PR to formalize this.

Please comment if you have objections (the group that argued for current generate behavior was absent from this post that was meant to be a debate). I think this is the right thing to do.

https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/4511

-Steve