On 7/12/16 7:37 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
On 7/12/2016 3:08 AM, Michael wrote:
Maybe it's time to invest in some "workstation" / server-grade stuff if
it's going to be running continuously with little moving air.

There's still a case fan, cpu fan, and power supply fan, just not one
dedicated to the card itself. The fire didn't start on the components
that were attached to the heat sink.

I've run all sorts of computers for 40 years now, have had all sorts of
hardware failures, and this is the first one that caught fire.

The server hardware I've seen all had very noisy fans. I couldn't bear
that.

I seriously doubt a fan would stop an electrical fire (in fact, probably makes it worse). It's not overheating, it's arcing.

BTW, this reminds me of a old goodie:

http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/96/Jun/nosmoke.html

A old colleague of mine always said when you see smoke, there's no way to fix it, because it's really hard to get the smoke back in there.

-Steve