grauzone wrote:
In this case, the semantic difference between safe and unsafe functions will cause trouble, and you'd eventually end up imposing the "safe" semantics upon unsafe functions.

May be.

I'd vote for disallowing slicing in safe functions. Safe code can just use dynamic arrays instead. One other important use of arrays will be small SSE optimized vectors (as far as I understood that), but those should be fine in safe mode; usually you won't want to slice them.

I thought of that, but I think it's too restrictive.

Also, I agree with "unsafe" being a pejorative. Got any better ideas? "unchecked"?

Some brainstorming: highperf, fast mode, system mode, lowlevel, bare-metal, turbo mode (silly but fun), ...?

"system" sounds good.