On Thursday, 14 July 2016 at 20:01:54 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
In C++, the compiler has to reload x, because it may have changed.

That's right. I learned that the hard way, when the original optimizer would assume that x hadn't changed. It broke a surprising amount of code.

It also means that the utility of const in C++ is extremely limited.

Walter, I hope you were just in a rush. Because I think you meant to say, "the utility of const in C++ for *optimizing code* is extremely limited". If you really think that the optimizer is the primary audience for language features, then ... well that would surprise me given D's design, which generally seems quite mindful of "humans are the primary audience".

Though at times I do feel people use "auto" when they should state the type they expect (because then the compiler could help detect changes which break intent, that might otherwise compile just fine).