On Wednesday, 27 July 2016 at 20:42:01 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
On Sunday, 24 July 2016 at 22:13:02 UTC, bitwise wrote:

There is the following, which is clever. But if it came down to having to do this to bypass @nogc, I simply wouldn't use @nogc.

https://p0nce.github.io/d-idioms/#Bypassing-@nogc

When you have to do it thousands of times throughout your codebase, then yes, it's that bad.

FWIW I've removed every use of that bypassing (was used for runtime initialization or semaphores locks). You can also use emplace/destroy like in: https://github.com/d-gamedev-team/gfm/blob/master/core/gfm/core/memory.d#L238

The point is though, that I WANT to use the GC. I want the memory cleaned up for me, and I don't mind little pauses once in a while. I just don't want careless allocations to happen in certain performance-sensitive contexts, like per-frame updates.

While working on a past project(C++), I found this little gem:

void draw() {
    Font* f = new Font("arial.ttf", 16);
    drawText(f, "hello world");
}

As utterly moronic as this seems, this was a real bug that I had to fix. Our game was literally topping out at 2GB of memory usage after ~30 seconds and crashing.

Note: it wasn't my code ;)

If that code was written in D with the feature I'm asking for, draw() would have been marked with @nogc. The person who wrote the above code would have either had to store the font somewhere else, or insert a @assumenogc{} section to actually do that. So it either would not have happened, or would have been much easier to find.

If you found that your game/app was using too much GC, searching for "@assumenogc" would likely uncover the cause, as long as your root classes were annotated correctly. The @assumenogc annotation would plainly show where allocations were happening that maybe shouldn't be.

    Bit
    Bit