On Friday, 5 August 2016 at 06:59:21 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 8/4/2016 11:05 PM, Fool wrote:
I understand your point of view. However, there are (probably rare) situations where one requires more control. I think that simulating double-double precision arithmetic using Veltkamp split was mentioned as a resonable example, earlier.

There are cases where doing things at higher precision results in double rounding and a less accurate result. But I am pretty sure there are far fewer of those cases compared to routine computations that get a more accurate result with more precision.

If that wasn't true, we wouldn't ever need double precision.

You are wrong that there are far fewer of those cases. This is naive point of view. A lot of netlib math functions require exact IEEE arithmetic. Tinflex requires it. Python C backend and Mir library require exact IEEE arithmetic. Atmosphere package requires it, Atmosphere is used as reference code for my publication in JMS, Springer. And the most important case: no one top scientific laboratory will use a language without exact IEEE arithmetic by default.