On 8/13/2016 2:57 PM, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d wrote:
I'm also tempted to argue that making shared virtually unusable without
casting it away would be a good idea - particularly when you consider that
most code that uses shared is going to need to cast it away to do anything
with it (even if we had synchronized classes, that would still be the case -
it would just be that under some circumstances, the compiler would do it for
you).

I suspect that's what the end result will be with shared. Anything else just seems like an illusion of correctness.

However, it sounds like Walter wants to postpone discussing this seriously
until after scope is sorted out.

Yes.

way too many folks just slap __gshared on stuff if they want
it to be shared (which is almost always the wrong thing to do).

That's why it's not allowed in @safe code.