Walter Bright wrote:
Bill Baxter wrote:
Any other thoughts about how to get the failure info?   This is
probably the main complaint against __traits(compiles), that there's
no way to find out what went wrong if the code doesn't compile.  Often
it can just be a typo.  I know I've spent plenty of time looking at
static if(__traits(compiles, ...)) checks that weren't working only to
discover I switched an x for a y somewhere.  Or passed the wrong
number of arguments.

I agree it's a problem. Perhaps we can do:

   __traits(compiles_or_msg, ...)

which would print the error messages, at least making it easier to track down.

Eh, scratch that dumb idea. Just remove the __traits(compiles, ...) and replace it with ..., and you'll get the message!