On Monday, 5 September 2016 at 05:08:53 UTC, Manu wrote:

A central premise of performance-oriented programming which I've
employed my entire career, is "where there is one, there is probably
many", and if you do something to one, you should do it to many.

From a conceptual standpoint, this sounds like the sort of thing array languages like APL and J thrive on, so there's solid precedent for the concept. I might suggest looking into optimising compilers in that space for inspiration and such; APEX, for example: http://www.snakeisland.com/apexup.htm

Of course, this comes with the caveat that this is (still!) some relatively heavily-academic stuff. And I'm not sure to what extent that can help mitigate the problem of relaxing type requirements such that you can e.g. efficiently ,/⍉ your 4 2⍴"LR" vector for SIMD on modern processors.

-Wyatt