On Thursday, 8 September 2016 at 15:45:53 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

It's critical that we do what we can to make templates fast. And if we can't make them fast enough, we'll definitely have to come up with techniques/guidelines for reducing their usage when they're not really needed.

- Jonathan M Davis

I agree. We need to make templates faster.
But it will be like squeezing water out of stones.
A few more oblivious optimizations I have tried did not have the desired effect at all.

@Andrei

Also we need to special case ranges in general.
And try harder to inline calls to range functions.
Maybe even early in the frontend.
secondly we need to inline range-chains into each other whenever possible. If we do this the right way early on we can reduce the symbolName-length as well.

All we need for this is pattern-matching on a type-resolved call-graph.

Which is something I am working on as part of my ctfe work.