On Thursday, 15 September 2016 at 21:21:12 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
You need to destroy structs by passing them by reference. Passing a pointer just destroys the pointer.

In this example, you can destroy what b points at (and call its destructor) via:

destroy(*b);

However, this will not fix the issue. This is because the memory block is not marked as being destroyed already (so it will run the dtor again). Class instances have a feature whereby when you call destroy it marks the memory block as already having the destructor run. Structs do not have this feature. Classes can afford to store extra metadata, structs cannot.

So the true fix here is to avoid allocating in the destructor (which is a no-no for heap-allocated items). This may work, it may not:

writefln("a is %s", a);

That makes it work. Thanks a lot! I thought the GC knew what had already been destroyed, though. Thanks for letting me know that only works for classes, that'll spare me a lot of trouble. Having the destructor be run twice can be a bit of a hassle, but it's nothing I can't find a workaround for.

Thank you all who replied! I'm sorry I chose the General room instead of the Learn one. I really thought this was some kind of bug (although it's pretty obvious it would've been reported by someone else if it was).