On Saturday, 24 September 2016 at 03:39:00 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
A somewhat lengthy but very interesting talk about the tradeoffs for language design and evolution.

[CppCon 2016: Bjarne Stroustrup "The Evolution of C++ Past, Present and Future"](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wzc7a3McOs)

In particular the part about direction
https://youtu.be/_wzc7a3McOs?t=51m29s, and the section about tradeoffs
for new features
https://youtu.be/_wzc7a3McOs?t=30m16s.

Relevant is this list of C++17 features (many of which already work in popular compilers).

http://stackoverflow.com/a/38060437/216300

I've got to admit, the D side of me is jealous of a few things on this list. Structured bindings, init ifs (one of those "why did it take so long to come up with this?" ideas), and constructor IFTI. Not sure if it's in C++17 yet but the stackless coroutines look nice too.

The baby steps toward CTFE are welcome, of course. It appears C++ still has a long way to go though.