Walter Bright wrote:
Yigal Chripun wrote:
This is very important IMO, probably as important as the license itself.
This is exactly why the GNU project rejects contributions even if they are licensed under the GPL unless the the contributer agrees to give ownership of the copyright to the FSF (the legal entity for the GNU project). Almost all open source projects do the same. a notable exception is the linux kernel and I think this influenced the decision to not upgrade to GPL3.

Does that mean that all of Phobos is under one legal entity - Digital Mars I presume? If not, than it really should be and you should require the same policy for future contributions. I don't want to see each module licensed under a different person (Andrei, Sean, You, etc..).

I think you make a very good point.

I think the GNU stuff is a bit different, because the GPL is an aggressive license -- the FSF intends to defend the license, taking offenders to court. Legal battles are expected, and having a single legal entity makes it easier to win the case. By contrast, the Boost license exists solely for the benefit of the users, giving them a guarantee that court cases will _not_ occur. I think that throughout Boost all of the authors retain their original copyright.