On 10/16/2016 3:17 PM, deadalnix wrote:
Long story short, it si clearly a waste of time. Qualifying the process would be
an understatement.

Some specifically DIP27 has been written in Feb 2913, following various
discussion at that time. I pushed it at the time. I moved it to the new git DIP
repository. Got mostly irrelevant feedback (Hi Martin) and more generaly the
loop time is measured in month.

The wiki DIP27 is here:

  https://wiki.dlang.org/DIP27

listed as a draft, last change Sep 2014. I don't see it in the new DIP
repository:

  https://github.com/dlang/DIPs

either submitted, approved, or in a PR.

I'm doing this on my free time. I have other things to do.

The DIP process is beyond broken. It essentially goes as :
 - If you are Andrei or Walter, then your DIP is just a formality. No matter how
bad it is, it is in (Hi DIP25, inout turned out so great for type qualifier we
clearly need that for lifetime).
 - If anybody else does it, you have no idea what you are getting into. You'll
be still there in 5 years with no end in sight.

Here's the list of approved DIPs. (It's a short list.)

  https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/DIPs/archive/README.md

I've been a sucker for long enough. I'm not playing anymore and I'd suggest to
anyone playing to stop. I've probably be playing longer than pretty much anyone
here. Trust the bitter old man, he knows.

I know it's hard to get any language changes approved. Arguably, it should be hard. For better or worse, it also takes those who believe in it to promote it, convince others of its value, and get behind it an push, hard.

My proposals to C++ have seen 100% failure to gain any traction, so I have some basis for understanding how you feel. Ironically, after implementing them in D, they seem to have found fertile ground in C++, after being championed by others. My sole acknowledged contribution to C++ is the Named Return Value optimization, the rest are all unacknowledged via D :-)

P.S. DIP25 had several reported bugs in it, but they have all been fixed or have open PRs to fix. None were fatal to the idea, they were just bugs.

P.P.S. It may not be obvious, but you have been a positive and valued contributor to D for a long time. Thank you!