On 14/11/2016 9:38 PM, AB wrote:
Installing D 2.072.0 on Windows 7 64-bit. After installation is complete
I get the following two error (warning?) messages, screenshots here:

http://imgur.com/a/5fydB

For your convenience they read as follows:

"Could not detect Visual Studio (2008-2015 are supported). No 64-bit
support."

"Could not detect Windows SDK (6.0A-10.0 are supported). No 64-bit
support."

So the above means that the DMD compiler will not be able to generate
64-bit executables on my system, because a third-party piece of software
is missing? This is ridiculous, what does Visual Studio have to do with
DMD and its capability to generate 64-bit code?

"You wanted a banana but what you got was a gorilla holding the banana
and the entire jungle."

Visual Studio automatically installs the MSVC tool chain which includes the linker, Microsoft's libc and of course import libraries for linking against.
Which we use for 64bit and 32bit coff support.

This is the systems official tool chain, it isn't all that rediculas. After all, it is what is "standard" for building c/c++ libraries on Windows, which is nice for you know compatibility reasons.