On Sunday, 18 December 2016 at 03:05:13 UTC, Whatsthisnow wrote:
I am basing the kernel on Linux because, well, I like Linux, and its the only complete kernel with free source that I currently know of. Given that it is widely Used as an OS kernel, it kinda made sense to port it, give it a new engine under the hood so to speak. I would like to keep it as close to the original as possible such that linux programmers will still have a generally familiar environment to work with, rather than having to learn an entirely new kernel.

As far as GlibD, well the point of the project is to give Linux, as a I said before, a metaphorical new engine under the hood, so it wouldn't be sensible to not convert libc and the coreutils etc to D as well since Linux requires them. Plus, this might be a good opportunity for the community, as well as the creators of D, to incorporate some features into the kernel that would benefit the D language itself. I think i remember reading somewhere, someone (maybe one of the creators) stated that garbage collection should be done in the Kernel, well I think this would be a perfect opportunity to test that as an experimental feature. Possibly pull GC out of the D libraries and put it in the kernel for this project.

Anyway, thats some of my thoughts on the project.

Having said that though, keeping it as familiar as possible, it would be a no brainer to make full use of D's features to make the kernel the best it can be. I am no master with D at the moment, so I was hoping some community members might be interested in putting their hands in the project and committing some good code ports.