On Sunday, 18 December 2016 at 09:26:09 UTC, Ilya Yaroshenko wrote:
Hi,

Who is interested in betterC _modular_* standard library?
I am planing to make libmir org a community for it.
Thought and concerns?

We already have better `cpuid` and better `random` packages. The betterC std.range and std.algorithm analogs would be released with new ndslice implementation. Mir's algorithm would be faster then Phobos and will generate less template bloat. Then lightweight threads, multithread GLAS, matrix inversion. Fastest I/O and http2 ...

(they all are betterC modular libraries)

Andrei and probably 90% of existing D users don't want Phobos to move this direction.

In other hand I need a commercial attractive D infrastructure for large and heavy system projects. There is no commercial perspective for me to contribute to Phobos because:

1. Phobos version depends on compiler version. Delay with LDC release is too large. It should / can be one day.

2. We can not do hot fixes in Phobos without compiling and deploying patched libphobos. Mir's DUB package are much more flexible.

3. Dependencies should be clear. Modularity is a proper way for large std library. In phobos everything integrated with everything. DRuntime -> Phobos abstraction is weird for betterC because system modules can depends universal algorithms, but universal algorithm are more portable if they have not system dependencies.

4. Phobos does not provide and will not provide betterC guaranties. If something works for betterC mode now it may not work in the future release.

[1] https://github.com/libmir/
* - separate github/DUB libraries with clear dependencies.

Best regards,
Ilya

Let's write a D, phobos.
Then we drop all the features and use a BetterC mode.
Then we write all modules against betterC mode.