On Wednesday, 21 December 2016 at 15:16:34 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 12/20/2016 11:32 PM, Joakim wrote:
(...)
I don't know how to make matters much clearer than the current document. Any suggestions are welcome. The section "Workaround: Are Local Imports Good Enough?" discusses the material cost in terms of extra files that need to be opened and parsed (some unnecessarily) in order to complete a compilation. The "Rationale" part of the document discusses the costs in terms of maintainability, clarity, and documentation.

Thanks,

Andrei

Stipulation: I think the difference of opinion may be caused by working on different sizes of projects in ones career (tens of thousands vs millions of LoC).

Suggestion 1: Maybe the DIP should point out that the cost of redundant imports (however small) tends to grow quadratically with code size (size of import tree times the number of compilations). If this is not the case then maybe the DIP is really in the wrong direction.

Suggestion 2:
Implement the DIP, autogenerate millions of lines of D code (2 versions: with and without DCDs) and see which version of DMD compiles them faster. This may also expose other ways to improve scalability without implementing this DIP.