On Monday, 2 January 2017 at 02:31:16 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
On Sun, Jan 01, 2017 at 11:55:37PM +0000, deadalnix via Digitalmars-d wrote:
But it is not clear if anyone cares at this stage...

I care. But I've been using custom-built DMD on Debian, and it has been working so far.

Of course, I don't know about the .deb distribution. A fix was recently pushed, but I don't know if that fixed the problem. My solution was basically to built druntime & phobos with -fPIC so that static libphobos.a is PIC. But my solution was declined in bugzilla and a different fix was opted for.

Linking against shared phobos was just mentioned as immediate workaround.

Changing over to -fPIC by default amd64 was one of multiple options that had to be carefully evaluated. It's fairly trivial to just demand a certain change without considering it's impact.