On Sunday, 22 January 2017 at 21:29:39 UTC, Markus Laker wrote:
Obviously, we wouldn't want to break compatibility with existing code by demanding a maximum line length at every call site. Perhaps the default maximum length should change from its current value -- infinity -- to something like 4MiB: longer than lines in most text files, but still affordably small on most modern machines.

An issue I had with low default buffer limits: they are difficult to discover and usually start to fail only in production where you hit the actual big data, which gets only bigger with time. You find and bump one limit, deploy, only hit another later.