On Sunday, January 29, 2017 16:26:27 Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 1/29/2017 3:50 AM, Nordlöw wrote:
> > Why is `in` no longer the same as `const scope`?
>
> Because it was unchecked and largely unimplemented. I was afraid that by
> checking it, too much code would break.

Which is why I've been arguing against anyone using in for years, but some
folks really liked how it was a parallel of out and used it anyway. Some
understood what scope was at least theoretically supposed to mean and were
willing to deal with the consequences if and when scope were actually
implemented beyond delegates, but most just used it without that
understanding.

Personally, I think that effectively having an alias for two attributes in a
single attribute is a confusing design decision anyway and think that it was
a mistake, but we've had folks slapping in on stuff for years with no
enforcement, and flipping the switch on that would likely not be pretty.

- Jonathan M Davis