On Saturday, 11 March 2017 at 19:28:16 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
So the idea is to analyse the format string at compile-time to determine exactly what functionality is actually used, and instantiate only that. Think of it as a format-string mini-compiler: given a format string and a list of argument types, compile it into the equivalent minimal D code. E.g.:

        format("abc%sdef", s)

should get compiled into:

        "abc" ~ s ~ "def"   // N.B.: no floating-point code, no
                                // width handling, etc.

Sounds good, and it would be more efficient at runtime. But as the type checking is easier, and the interface is the same, I think we could add type checking now and hopefully do the CT parsing later.