On Tuesday, 21 March 2017 at 17:58:06 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
On Tuesday, 21 March 2017 at 12:45:45 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
On Tuesday, 21 March 2017 at 11:59:42 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
It's not good either. Why would I want to look at a DAG when the serie of event is strictly linear to begin with ?

Not sure what you mean here. The way it's presented is not a DAG.

Blue is red, up is down, and the commit graph is not a DAG.

Not sure what you mean. The commit graph is a DAG. The way you quoted my post made your remark seem to refer to my attempt to reformat it, which is not presented as a DAG.

"Our source control is completely broken, but that's not a problem because we developed 3rd party tools to work around the brokenness"

That's fallacious.

If you can't bissect, it's broken.

By that definition of "broken", all git repositories which use branch merging are "broken". That includes some of the biggest open-source projects. Frankly, if you want to stick to that definition, I have nothing against it.

Listen, you know it's broken because you wrote tools to work around the brokenness. If it wasn't broken you wouldn't have written these tools as there would be no need to do so. So let's not play pretend.

Digger would probably have existed even if D were a monorepo and squashed PRs' commits from the start, because it also knows how to satisfy each prior version's build dependencies and how to invoke the build scripts. Regardless, D is perfectly suitable for automatic bisection, which is unreasonably awkward with git itself - Digger makes it much easier. I think there's no shame in writing domain-specific tools to enhance some functionality of standard ones.