Thu, 19 Nov 2009 11:47:46 -0800, Bill Baxter wrote:

> It seems to me that MS expects C++ to go the way of FORTRAN and
> COBAL.  Still there, still used, but by an increasingly small number of
> people for a small (but important!) subset of things.  Note how MS still
> hasn't produced a C99 compiler. They just don't see it as relevant to
> enough people to be financially worthwhile.

Even the open source community is using more and more dynamic languages
such as Python on the desktop and Web 2.0 (mostly javascript, flash,
silverlight, php, python) is a strongly growing platform. I expect most
of the every day apps to move to the cloud during the next 10 years.
Unfortunately c++ and d missed the train here. People don't care about
performance anymore. Even application development has moved from library
writing to high level descriptions of end user apps that make use of high
quality foss/commercial off-the-shelf components. Cloud computing, real-
time interactive communication, and fancy visual look are the key
features these days.