On Saturday, 29 April 2017 at 07:15:36 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
On 28.04.2017 17:43, Moritz Maxeiner wrote:
[...]

No. Every single thread I read in the last couple of years ended with Walter pointing out issues that need to be "hashed out" and then nobody
doing it.

This is not the full story though. Among Walter's constraints for an acceptable solution always were:

1. cannot add new syntax

I've dug through what records I know of surrounding these discussions [1][2][3][4][5] and could not come up with a statement of his that supports this hard-line claim. You may be right, considering that adding new syntax is a non-trivial change, but I'd need the citation.

2. cannot add polymorphism to the type system (because it is "hard to understand")

Same as above.

[1] http://lists.puremagic.com/pipermail/dlang-study/
[2] https://forum.dlang.org/thread/kpgilxyyrrluxpepe...@forum.dlang.org [3] https://forum.dlang.org/post/kluaojijixhwigouj...@forum.dlang.org
[4] http://forum.dlang.org/thread/oboaa2$17oa$1...@digitalmars.com