On 5/10/17 8:28 AM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
C++'s fundamental paradigm has always been "Premature-optimization
oriented programming". C++ promotes POOP.

LOL!!

Perhaps I'm just being cynical, but my current unfounded hypothesis is
that the majority of C/C++ programmers don't use a profiler, and don't
*want* to use a profiler, because they're either ignorant that such
things exist (unlikely), or they're too dang proud to admit that their
painfully-accumulated preconceptions about optimization might possibly
be wrong.

Or maybe my perceptions are just heavily colored by the supposedly
"expert" C coders I've met, who wrote supposedly better code that I
eventually realized was actually not better, but in many ways actually
worse -- less readable, less maintainable, more error-prone to write,
and at the end of the day arguably less performant because it ultimately
led to far too much boilerplate and other sources of code bloat,
excessive string copying, too much indirection (cache unfriendliness),
and other such symptoms that C coders often overlook.

Just to add a different perspective - the people I work with is the kind of guys who know when not to trust the profiler and what to try if the profile is flat. There is no question raised that you should run it, it's just assumed you always do.

P.S. Can't wait to see "Are we fast yet?" graph for Phobos functions.

---
Dmitry Olshansky