On Wednesday, 10 May 2017 at 11:50:32 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Tuesday, May 09, 2017 07:13:31 Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
On 5/8/2017 1:55 PM, John Carter wrote:

Atila commented at dconf that working with allocators in D code for the excel wrapper library he had worked on was like he was stuck in C++ again with all of the memory problems that he had. @safe and the GC have _huge_ value.

- Jonathan M Davis

Actually, it was worse than being back in C++ land: there I can use valgrind and address sanitizer. With D's allocators I was lost.

I'd forgotten how much "fun" it was to print pointer values to the terminal to track down memory bugs. It's especially fun when you're on Windows, your code is in a DLL loaded by a program you don't control and DebugViewer is your only friend.

Atila