On Friday, 19 May 2017 at 13:45:04 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
On 5/19/17 9:35 AM, Tobias Mueller wrote:

They do however say that the actual knowledge about Rust in the D community seems to be rather small, compared to the amount of criticism against it. And TBQH I have to agree. To criticize, you should at least
have a basic understanding of it.

The comments about Andrei saying Rust can't call into C or have C call back are quite harsh. Looking at Rust's ability to call C API, it seems they have a point -- it appears to be just like D in that you just declare an extern C function and can call it.

Disclaimer: have never used Rust.

What I've noticed is that Andrei and sometimes Walter do say C but mean C++ (note that the C++ files in the dmd code have only .c extension, not the usual .cpp). That is also why I had to make that remark the other day to be careful to not conflate C and C++ as they are really very different. The old canard that C is a subset of C++ was never true and has always been imo te thing that made C++ the Frankenstein monster it evolved into.