On Sunday, 18 June 2017 at 16:31:28 UTC, JN wrote:
On Sunday, 18 June 2017 at 10:38:49 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
Something I really appreciate a lot with D is how close it is to JavaScript.

[...]

I don't think that's a good selling point. The obvious reply is "but why should I use an unknown language like D if I could just use node.js and share the client and server code?".

Speed, you're limited by the browser but not on the server. I'm running this regex benchmark right now and the D version beats the top C and Rust ones from this list on linux/x64 with a single core:

http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/regexredux.html

I need to parallelize the D version and compare with multi-core also. Of course, once webasm takes off, everyone will simply compile their server code to webasm and ditch javascript altogether:

https://blog.figma.com/webassembly-cut-figmas-load-time-by-3x-76f3f2395164

But then, we can sell those javascript programmers on moving to D. ;)