Walter Bright wrote:

On 6/20/2017 3:07 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
On Tuesday, 20 June 2017 at 20:50:14 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/6901
We should generate the default string from the expression for D too. (at a minimum, I'd actually like to see every variable printed out too, but this is already written)

Those strings eat up space and are of pretty marginal utility. Don't want to make assert's so bloatsome that people are discouraged from using them.

nope, they aren't. but they are immediately helpful. i integrated such patch to my dmd ages ago, and i'm not speaking out of nothing -- they *are* helful.

and i can't see how *adding* *useful* *info* to assertion will discourage people from using 'em.

"bloatsome"? i don't think so. those generated messages is small (usually 20-30 bytes), and nothing comparing to druntime/phobos size.