On Monday, 3 July 2017 at 11:30:14 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

Ultimately, the way that folks find out about needing to change their code is compiling it and seeing the deprecation messages - or getting compilation errors if they wait too long, but that's a _lot_ more of a pain to deal with than the deprecation messages, so we really don't want to rush the removal.

Something that has worked well for me in other languages (in the few cases I've encountered it) has been renaming deprecated functions rather than removing them. So rather than foo, the function becomes foo_legacy. If foo disappears, the fix is simple - change the name to foo_legacy. I try to do that myself, because it's not unusual to run across code I haven't used in a few years, or code I gave to someone else a few years ago, and you don't even remember what the function does, much less how to fix it.