On Monday, 10 July 2017 at 23:01:50 UTC, Luís Marques wrote:
On Monday, 10 July 2017 at 22:39:22 UTC, Petar Kirov [ZombineDev] wrote:
The problem Walter pointed to is that due to integer promotion, arithmetic operands of types smaller than int are converted to int, hence even if you use bytes and shorts you would end up using ints, which are expensive on CPUs with no native 32-bit registers. In theory, you could write your code so that it's easy for the optimizer to prove that you're only using 8 or 16 bits and variables would fit in single registers, so you would be able to get away without a performance penalty for using a language where ints are 32-bit.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. For me it hasn't proved a problem, but I could see it being if you do a lot of arithmetic with 16-bit integers.

I just want to point out, that my impression is that the maker scene
using all this 16 bit Arm Arduino and what ever micro controllers,
would be happy to have D as an alternative for coding in C.
So BetterC and D_16 might attract a way bigger community than many
other might think. Even if this reduced language might need to be named D-- :-).