So I guess I should restate that we can assume no implementations exist that intentionally cause UB when stream is NULL (as in Timon's example). Either they check for null, and handle gracefully, or don't check and segfault.

No need to worry about that at all. If worse comes to worst - i.e. we do port to such an implementation - we can always provide a thin wrapper that checks for NULL then calls the native function. No need to change the signatures. -- Andrei