On Tuesday, 22 August 2017 at 01:20:13 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Tuesday, August 22, 2017 01:01:15 Nicholas Wilson via Digitalmars-d wrote:
That attributes are combinable and aliasable are nice side effects of being regular attributes which in general are one of the main foci of the DIP (the other being fixing the non-invertibility).

Which is precisely why I don't like it. Fixing non-invertibility is great. I don't like any of the rest.

Any editor that has dcd (or other tooling) support should be able to immediately resolve which aliases refer to what as its only symbol resolution. Yes it won't be able to do inference but it can't under the current system either.

Regardless, it means that I would need to run a tool to figure out which attributes actually applied to a function rather than just reading it like I could do now. And the fact that this is can be done with UDAs right now is _not_ a plus. I can understand wanting to reduce the number of attributes being manually applied to functions, but I think that hiding them with aliases and/or combined attributes is a maintenance nightmare and would argue that it's just plain bad practice.

- Jonathan M Davis

Then we shall just have to agree to disagree. I am of the opinion that they are very useful properties of UDAs and that's part of why I wrote that DIP.