Hello Tomek,

Quick one: could the compiler enforce that enum values in order of
appearance are sorted?

It could neatly guarantee no surprises with case ranges, like this
one:

enum Weird { One=1, Two=4, Three=3 }

Now, case Weird.One: .. case Weird.Three: won't match Weird.Two.

My current programming project (in C++ as a result of the CS class it's for) has a rather common enum where this would be a bother as it has several identifiers for the same values. Having to sort them would make working with them a pain.

I'd agree that you don't see enums like Weird often. Then again, why
rely on a coding convention? This guarantee looks cheap to implement.

Any reason against?

Tomek