Replying to a couple of the comments here

"I don't know if it's a different expectation or a different mindset or something else." I'd like to think I'm fairly knowledgeable, but Yes, I expect installing/configuring to be easy and quick, so I can get to the actual programming. I expect solid debugging capabilities, full IDE support, autocomplete, and 64-bit windows libraries. It is just some of the things that I am used to with Visual C++. "Better than C++" is my motivation to evaluate D, and to me that goes beyond just the language and standard library. If I, as a new user, don't have a solid first impression, I'd have no expectation that the rest of the D ecosystem is polished, and I would return to C++

"even when we do have IDE support (e.g. VisualD), it never seems to be enough for some folks." I tried VisualD, but the fact that it didn't use dub underneath made me think "that's not the way people are supposed to use D". That is why I started the VSCode path- that felt more in the spirit of the D ecosystem.

I admit I didn't consider evaluating DLangIDE earlier. I am used to Visual Studio, so that was my first choice. If I have to learn a second editor I want one that is known to work with many languages and lots of plugin support, so I picked VS Code.